
Jasper's fever persisted through the night. He woke up declaring that he was "all better," but his temperature still registered 102. He barely ate breakfast, but then rallied to help with yard work for a good half hour, insisting on wearing flip flops. Then he became progressively fussy and curled up in the fetal position on the sofa at 9 am for a two hour nap. Despite all the clear evidence that he was SICK, I did not call off the play date with Alison. I was selfish. I wanted to chat with her mom, Andrea (Peter's predecessor at the Forest Society). I wanted to be outside in the 70 degree weather.

I didn't want to sit in the dark living room and hold a feverish two year old. Plus, I knew that as soon as I gave him another dose of ibuprofen he would be good as gold and insist on playing outside. So I didn't call off the play date. I gave Jasper a hit of medicine, and sure enough, half an hour later, he was stealing apples and swinging under the tree like a rock star. I did not violate parental ethics by concealing his illness from Andrea, but she seemed more than willing to risk exposure for a couple of hours of conversation and creative play. Jasper and Ali are perfect playmates, challenging one another to stand on the swing, sharing books, and stalking like lions in the yard.
No comments:
Post a Comment