We had a rough night last night. I had insomnia and didn't come close to feeling sleepy until after midnight. Before I fell asleep, Jasper woke up, moaning, feverish shaky. He needed water, his bunny, consoling, cuddling. He finally fell asleep and I, back in our bed, was on my way when Josie woke up and screamed bloody murder for her midnight snack. That woke up Jasper. Josie had soaked through and exploded her diaper which had to be changed which woke her up for real. Peter finally got her to sleep. Jasper fell asleep again and then woke up again and so Peter went to sleep with him. They fell asleep. I fell asleep. Then Peter woke up and got up to return to our bed which woke Jasper up, which woke me up. Josie woke up. Then we were all awake. Peter and I tossing and turning, Jasper moaning quietly to himself, and Josie babbling in her crib. Eventually, I think, we all fell asleep, because then, sometime around dawn, we all woke up.

Despite the gorgeous Spring (capital S) weather (sunny and 60s, flowers all around), we had a quiet morning inside. Both kids took long morning naps (which Jasper has not done in many months). After a light lunch and apparent recovery, we were settling in to books when three of Batulo's kids, Cheryl Barassa and her daughter Jennita came walking up to the house. I had forgotten my promise to babysit while Cheryl takes Batulo to her prenatal appointment (she's pregnant with number seven). Jasper was at first excited and then completely overwhelmed by the four playmates under the age of five. He hunkered down into the sand box while they ransacked the garage and helped with yard work. It was great fun, but I'm feeling ever more grateful that I will not be teaching kindergarten next year.

Jasper immediately collapsed unconscious after the party left. When he woke up from his second nap he lay inert on the sofa for an hour. I finally piled him into the stroller with Josie and took a walk, which was therapeutic for me if not entirely a good idea for him. He asked to go to bed at seven, without supper, and we will see what the night holds in terms of recovery.
No comments:
Post a Comment