Tuesday, January 15, 2008

You're Driving Me NUTS!

If you ask Jasper, "How are you Jasper?" he generally responds, "Two." Last week Jasper was having an especially "two" morning. He wasn't being bad or particularly fussy. He ran away giggling when I wanted to put his pants on. He started playing with a car instead of putting on his boots. He put cheerios in his orange juice. He tried to pick up Josie by the head. Etcetera. As we finally pulled out of our drive way going I-forget-where, I was fuming silently and ranting at him in my head. I turned on the radio and started down the road, proud of myself for not loosing it in the kitchen when he peed in his pants before walking out the door, and I hear from the back seat, "You're driving me nuts!" I swear he can read my mind.

Because he is "driving me nuts" so much of the time, I was inspired yesterday to start researching pre-schools for next year. When I learned that "Discovery Village" just a few blocks from our house accepts 2 1/2 year olds (god bless them), and has one opening, I wanted to scream, "Sign me up!" into the phone. Jasper, Josie and I spend essentially all day of every day together. Josie is still so passive, she doesn't get much quality time from mama. As she has begun to assert her presence a bit more (kicking, swinging arms, screaming when she is hungry), Jasper has not shown to be a tolerant toddler. He is easily annoyed by her baby-ness. Because I get next to no time by/ for myself, my patience is shorter than his, about as long as a match stick. So two mornings a week with a group of other kids and kinder teachers could be a good for everyone. If the place doesn't seem abusive, I'll probably put down a deposit and start him next week.

No comments: