Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Animation


Jasper insists that I animate everything. If he won't finish his cereal, I have to make the cheerios cry and beg to go in his tummy. If he won't put on his pants, I need to make the pants ask enthusiastically to go on an adventure with him. The toys cheer for him as he cleans them up. If he won't listen to me for another reason, I make my hand do the talking, and miraculously he follows directions. However, there are some days that I simply don't feel like making the shoes, or fork, or potty, or spilled crackers talk. I would really like him to listen to what mama has to say and then respond accordingly, with perfect harmony and obedience. These moments are rare.

I could hardly sleep last night because I was so excited about visiting another potential pre-school for Jasper. This one sounded NICE. Montessori, in a historic farm house, sweet pictures on the website of all hardwood floors and big windows, a very knowledgeable teacher who spoke articulately about the Montessori method. I figured it was most likely beaucoup cher, but I didn't even ask the price on the phone. I figured at this point I would just about pay anything... with help from my folks, who have an invested interest in my mental health, not to mention his education. We visited this morning and indeed it was phenomenal. Jasper integrated right into the classroom. When I explained that he needed to raise his hand before calling out an answer, he shot both arms right up in the air. Oh, he has so much to learn! Now that I may be on the eve of sending our big boy to "school" for the first time, I hesitate. He's so little. And once the process of spending more time away from home begins, it never ends. When I leave him at preschool for the first time, he's on his way. Although I crave it, I am not sure I am ready for it. However, he certainly is. http://www.meetinghousemontessori.com/

No comments: