As I flip through the child development books and remember to look for milestones, and as I begin to think about my children's progress in life, I realize that the most important quality I want them to possess is that they be empathetic, kind people. That they be understanding of and responsive to the needs of others. And that they be happy. At the center of these qualities, of course, is self esteem and confidence. I realize that I am not helping them reach this state by looking at Jasper and saying, "What is WRONG with you?!" when he is crying, sprawled out on the floor refusing to put on his pants ten minutes before we need to be at swim class. It would be good for me to remember Dr. King at times like these.
Monday, January 21, 2008
What are you doing for others?
Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
We only remembered on Friday that today was MLK day. A three day weekend for Peter (gloryhallelujahpraiseGod). I wish I had thought ahead to get some books on Dr. King, or non-violence, or civil rights, or...something, to give Jasper a sense that we are honoring justice on this day. But we did nothing of the sort. We celebrated the great Saint and his unfinished work by skating on our pond in sub-zero temperatures and swimming at the Y. We settled for reading Amazing Grace at nap time, which is about a black girl who plays Peter Pan in her school play. Jasper also celebrated the life of Dr. King by being a really pleasant, peaceful boy. I say it is because his Papa was home with him for three days straight. It is amazing what a little quality time can do for a tender soul. If he has more days like this, I might consider homeschooling (yesterday I was considering boarding school... for next year).
What are we doing for others? How can we do more? Hopefully as time progresses we will become balanced enough to reach beyond our inner circle. For now, making sure everyone at 55 Walker Street has a clean butt and full belly is about all I can handle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Working for Barack Obama IS working for others. His speech at King's church in Atlanta Sunday was most inspiring. And I realy believe that being happy, kind parents is one of the best things we can do for others.
Good work, PnJ!
MamaA
Post a Comment