Thursday, January 17, 2008
Stepping Out
Peter and I initiated Megan as our official family babysitter last night. She is 13, the daughter of a friend, and has a good head on her shoulders. I have been "training" her for months now (she came every Monday as a "mother's helper), so Jasper is very comfortable and familiar with her. Back in October he cried for 20 minutes straight and threw up on himself when I left the house to run an errand down the street. Last night he bid us goodbye with a crooked smile as we left for our "date." When I was preparing Jasper for Megan's first night of babysitting, he asked, "Why do you have to go?" I explained that, "I'm not very patient with you because I don't get out of the house enough and we spend all day together so basically I just need a little space so I'm not so mean." Amazingly, he seemed to really get it. I think he agrees that mama needs to get out more. Peter and I went to the pub with a couple of friends and drank a beer. We reflected on how a few years ago that may have seemed like a lame night out. Last night it seemed like a gift from god.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
dear Jes,
I love you and your parenting, and your kids, and the whole Ellis clan.... and how you write about it here. Thanks. Maybe some day Hannah and I will go out for a beer again, too.
- Daniel
Post a Comment