Monday, January 28, 2008

Mama's Moles

Jasper has never had a "soothy." Despite many earnest efforts to get him to attach to various blankets and stuffed animals, he never expressed a particular interest in an inanimate object. He did suck a pacifier, his "booky," until he was 15 months old. The night we took it away, I learned what heroin withdrawal was like. But other than that, he has been pretty independent. He does have, however, "mama's moles." I have two moles, one on either side of my neck, that have become his surrogate blanky. Whenever he is feeling insecure, hurt, tired, hungry, or otherwise upset, he looks for my moles. He needs to touch one or the other, or both, with his index finger. He prefers the left one. If he can't see the left one, he will forcefully turn my head to expose it. If I protest, he might settle for the right one. If he is particularly stressed, he scratches them. The moles get so much attention that they are ruddy, worn, and often scabby. I have considered having them removed, but worry about the psychological damage that might inflict. As for Josie, I am crossing my fingers that she learns to suck her thumb.

No comments: