As I type this a family of skunks is passing just beneath our dining room window. There are four of them now, where all winter there was only one. They are presumably living in our garage or under our porch, but certainly on our property. And they aren't paying rent. They are quiet and cute and terrifying. I dare not even close the window.
Yesterday we had a fun visit from The Twins, Rosie and Luca, and their mom, Liz. A long day of lounging, playing in the kitty pool, and eating. Mostly Josie and Rosie ate. They polished off their lunches, and their brothers' lunches, and the whole bowl of etamame. Girls of the same heart.
Today Oma came to babysit while I eked out my first few hours of real work. Josie cat napped all afternoon while Jasper took a three and a half hour power nap. We made up for the rest by heading to the pool after supper. He shivered off all the calories before agreeing to get out.
I am nearly truly panicked about finding child care for Josie. When will my savior appear?
Yesterday, after the twins' departure, Jasper played quietly and contentedly out on the porch for nearly an hour while I made dinner and cleaned up. After a long while I hear, "Hey!... HEY!..." He was shouting out into the street. "Hey you guys!.... Come HERE!... Come up HERE!" He was shouting at our Liberian neighbors, two girls who I think are the nieces of the lady who lives there. They finally noticed him shouting and looked up, but then went back to playing, ignoring him. "HEY!.... HEY!!!" I went out to tell Jasper that maybe he should ask them a question, or say Hello instead of Hey. Hey sounds a bit antagonistic. "HELLOOOOO! What's your names?!?!? .... HEY!!" I am shocked it has taken him this long to realize that people actually live down there. And that they might be fun to play with. I have a feeling we are about to begin a whole new phase of social experimentation. Our little butterfly is emerging from his cocoon.
The skunks have moved on, leaving no trace of their visit, thank goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment