Thursday, July 10, 2008

The In Search of Nanny Diaries


Connie was convenient but too expensive. Amanda was affordable but too far away. Beth didn't have any openings. Maureen never called me back. Heidi had three of her own kids and was already watching one more. Mandi left the TV on "all day... but not always kid shows." Sharon sounded like a smoker. Jen's baby was sitting in front of the television in a vibrating seat the entire time we talked, and she didn't even look at Josie. Susan wanted four weeks of paid vacation. Etc. Etc.I have emailed or spoken with about twenty women in desperate search of an affordable, reliable care giver for Josie. I'd like to think that we are not too picky. I don't have a problem with some tv or some sugar. I would drive any distance for the right person. I would pay as much as possible for the right person... which, unfortunately, is not very much. Ideally we need someone near home or Peter's work, in case one of our jalopy cars breaks down, but location is far from the first priority. I have spent two months scouring craigslist and the newspaper and mentioning our search to anyone who will listen. I have followed every lead, no matter how improbable. No one has seemed right. There may be details about the environment or location or cost that don't make logistical sense, but it really just comes down to a gut feeling. It doesn't feel like a good fit. Then this evening we walked over to Halima and Fartoum's house at Jasper's insistance. Batulo's brother was there with his family (also 5+ children), so the place was lively. Batulo is enormously pregnant, and totally unsure of when the baby might arrive ("I think August... or maybe September."). When I mentioned my quest for daycare to her, as I do to everyone, she said, "You bring her to my house, and I watch her." I replied that I thought she had her hands full. "No, no. Halima in school. Fartoum in School. Medina in Head Start. I only have Hassan and Sangawa... and this one," she added gesturing to her protruding belly. "You bring her here and Sangawa teach her things." It was a ludicrous suggestion. Batulo is about to have a new baby. She already has FIVE children (plus one still in Somalia). The house is tiny. The kids rarely wear underwear not to mention shoes. I have seen them eat popsicles and Cheese Its for breakfast. But it felt like a good idea. I know her. I know her kids. I trust her. She lives around the corner from me, and I'll be working with the families on her street. She holds Josie and talks to her and is interested in Jasper. She is smart and resourceful. Shit, she has seven well behaved kids, she must know SOMETHING about babies. I told her we would think about it. We are thinking about it. And checking Craigslist every day in the meantime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you've found a solution....