Yesterday we returned from a pilgrimage to DC for my 15th high school reunion. Unfortunately, Meme and Pepe were out of town, but we got in visits with many close friends and family (Alex, Denia, Punam, Erin and Jon, Matt and Marcia) as well as three reunion events. Peter and the Js were real troopers to make the long voyage with me just so I could fully experience the weight of my age. I believe in reunions. They are easy to pass off, especially when one has been out of touch with essentially everyone, as I have. It's easy to argue that high school is no longer relevant to my current life. But the eight years I spent developing at Maret had a lot to do with the semi-rural house wife I am today... somehow. By seeing (and drinking heavily with) my classmates, I return for a moment to the awkward, ambitious teenager I once was. Along with all of the insecurity, self-consciousness and doubt, there is a fair amount of confidence, curiosity and idealism. We are all essentially the same people we were fifteen years ago, just with more bumps, wrinkles, body fat and gray hair, and a bit less energy. We also, for the most part, seem to have more humility, perspective and acceptance.

And more kids. It was neat to see Jasper and Priya holding hands and growling at one another (I went to school with Priya's father, Travis, from first grade through college).

The trip home, through pouring rain, was epic. Metro to Marc train to shuttle bus to plane to car to home. Jasper and Josie enjoyed every leg, charming commuters along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment