Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why Y?

Peter is up north giving a talk to some budding botanists, so I was on my own for the evening. Knowing that it was imperative that Jasper go to bed on time, I made a preemptive outing to the YMCA. Their open swim block is only 30 minutes long, so if we were to make the most of it, we really had to be in our suits and on deck right at 3:45 pm. Luckily, Jasper essentially skipped his nap (another reason for an outing; he is generally much better behaved in public), so he was awake with plenty of time to spare. However, he had no interest in going, so I wrangled him into his shoes and coat against much protest. Josie woke up from her nap with just enough time to have a diaper change, get buckled into her car seat and loaded into the car like a bag of groceries. Miraculously I got everyone in the car and downtown with time to change, pee and shower before 3:45. As this is school vacation week, we shared the locker room and pool with about 20 hyper 6 - 8 year old girls, which distracted Josie from nursing. As soon as 3:45 struck, we were in the pool. Jasper had a blast swimming with the noodle and the spiderman ball, jumping into the pool, watching the kids. Josie flirted with the hyper girls from her car seat next to the lifeguard. At 3:55 Jasper announced that he was done. No amount of coaxing could lure him back into the pool. So we repeated the entire process in reverse (shower, pee, clothes, car seats, home). We were gone more than an hour, and in the pool ten minutes. Worth it? Jasper fell asleep at 7 pm. I'll pay ten bucks a month for that, no problem.

No comments: