Thursday, February 21, 2008

Moonlight in NH

Yesterday, to celebrate the full moon and lunar eclipse, and to burn off some of our toddler's excess energy, we spontaneously decided to take a family walk at 7:30 pm. Jasper has had trouble sleeping, so I figured the exercise would do him good, as we had not managed to get outside that afternoon. It was bitter cold, but the light of the full moon lured us outdoors and Jasper, miraculously, seemed game. We bundled up and headed outside for the first monthly family "moonlight march." Jasper walked the whole way to the big field behind Lincoln Financial. We slid and crunched across the brittle ice. We listened. We called for owls. We noticed the way the moonlight transformed a familiar field into a magical sea of sparkles. We discussed Orion, and especially his cool sword. Josie shut down her body systems and fell asleep (surprise, surprise). Jasper wanted to stay out all night. Anything but fall asleep. Although we returned tuckered out, he still resisted the final goodnights and awoke several times in the middle of the night. But I think he had sweet full moon dreams all the same.


Later on Peter and I watched the lunar eclipse from our guest room window. We were headed outside for the climax, when Josie peeped for her feeding. She nursed right through the total eclipse, but I could watch it from our bedroom window, and Peter caught the enchanting orange disc on the camera.

No comments: