Friday, February 15, 2008

B.Day for Sarah

Today was Sarah Hipple's 33rd birthday. She was in town all day, so Jasper got to hang out with Sarah, Joanie and Tasha for a few hours while I went to a meeting. He was on cloud 9, as they say. While Jasper hung out with his favorite Valentine, I went to talk with Dr. Brooks, the principal of Beaver Meadow Elementary. We signed the form nominating me for a kindergarten teaching position. This is really just a technicality, since the K teacher is less senior than I am, and therefor my return bumps her out of a position, even though she is an experienced kindergarten teacher and I would be clueless. Hopefully, and quite possibly, things will shift and an upper grade position will open up, and next year's five year olds will be spared my great blunders. I am terrified of returning to work full time, but it felt good to be back in the building.

We celebrated Sarah's birthday at Tim and Joanie's tonight (the Hipple's old house). Just like old times. We had the idea to let Jasper sleep there with Jackson and Tasha, while we revelled with the adults. No such luck. We finally abandoned the effort and he has not yet fallen asleep in his own bed, at 11:45 pm. He was in such a foul mood on the way home, he kept asking me to get out of the car (this is after screaming at the top of his lungs for no reason, after which I stopped the car and asked him if he needed to get out... he stopped screaming, at least). Once again, I fear we will pay for our little bit of fun with two full days of a miserable cranky two year old. The food and company were exceptional, so perhaps it was worth it.

No comments: