
Today, at last, was the first day of school. Jasper seemed a little edgy and reticent in the morning, asking to stay at home with me, but he didn't put up a fight when we finally had to leave at 8:20. When we arrived at the school, a charming converted farm house, one of the teachers came out to orient me to various cubbies and hooks and his home/school bag. When I looked down to show Jasper his new bag, he was gone. I found him a few minutes later already engaged in scooping up pom-pom balls and putting them into a bowl.
All of the children were quietly engaged in various scooping and arranging activities, each on its own small wooden tray.

The room was calm and busy. The children were relaxed and focused. He was happy to give me a kiss and say goodbye. And that was it. I left. I felt like I should go to a spa and get a pedicure and a latte, but I went home. I played with Josie, did the laundry, read part of a book, made a phone call, and the three hours were gone. They were the most luxurious three hours I have had in over four months. It was magical being able to play with Josie on the floor and not worry that Jasper was going to sit on her head or wake up from his nap. I arrived a little early to pick him up, and he immediately jumped up from the circle on the rug to come and hug me.

The teacher was reading a Shel Silverstein poem and the kids, mostly boys, were rolling on the floor laughing. Jasper ran back to join them until he was dismissed. I was thrilled to hear that he had been happy and hadn't even asked for me, but doubly thrilled to learn that he had used the potty... twice. Wahoo! He had a happy rest of the day, helping me make pizza, playing sweetly with Josie on the couch, playing "rock star" with the pots and spoons on the floor of the kitchen. He is looking forward to school again on Thursday, and I am looking forward to a quality day with him tomorrow. I must admit, I do NOT understand people who choose to homeschool. This is freedom.
Pictures are not posting at this time, so I will try again tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment