Sunday, September 7, 2008
Sunday Sibs
This felt like our first true "weekend."On Friday Jasper asked, "Is tomorrow a school day?" and I could honestly reply, "No!" "Why?" he wanted to know. "Because it's Saturday, and Saturday and Sunday are the weekend when we spend time as a whole family the entire time!" For the first time Jasper felt the pure Joy of "weekend." Ahhh. We slept-in (in shifts), watched movies, went to Pablo's birthday party, made pizza, had friends over, went picking at the orchard (or at least the PJs did, I went to work), played with all of our toys, and just "hung out." It was glorious. By the end of the weekend Josie was as relaxed and congenial as we remember her. Tomorrow morning we hit the ground running again, for our first full five day week. Cross your fingers for us.
As Josie gets more mobile (finally figuring out that her knees might have some value), her relationship with Jasper becomes more autonomous. He tries to play with her now, conscientiously selecting toys that he thinks she will enjoy and trying to engage her in games. After a meal Jasper will ask to be excused, declaring, "I want to play with Josie." And there they go, into the living room, banging with hammers or pushing cars, leaving Peter and I to a miraculous ten second conversation. While he is the first to make her cry (by sitting on her head, or poking her eyes on purpose), he is also the first to come to her defense when we tell her no ("She wants to!") or when she cries for something ("She needs MILK!"). They have a long and varied relationship ahead of them, but I predict much fun adventure amidst the conflict.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment