Monday, March 10, 2008

On Winter's Margin

On winter's margin, see the small birds now


With half-forged memories come blocking home


To gardens famous for their charity.


The green globe's broken; windes like tangled veins


Hang at the entrance to the silent wood.





With half a loaf, I am the prince of crumbs;


By time snow's down, the birds amassed will sing


Like chidren for their sire to walk abroad!


But what I love, is the gray stubborn hawk


Who gloats alone beyond the frozen vines;


And what I ream of are the patient deer


Who stand on legs like reeds and drink the wind;-





They are what saves the world: who choose to grow


Thin to a starting point beyond this squalor.





- Mary Oliver





We took advantage of the lengthened evening by walking before dinner. We took the trail to the hospital and wound back home on small streets past the large victorians. Jasper's ankles were frozen when we returned. Josie's cheeks are still red from wind burn. But no one cried.




As we slowly retrieve the baby toys and contraptions from the basement, Jasper has a renewed interest in them. He can play for hours with stuff that never much held his attention. This evening while I burned chicken in the oven, he insisted on "taking a bath" in the exersaucer, which hopefully succeeded in getting the grime off for Josie's inaugural session in it sometime soon.









Josie is cultivating her interest in food. She stares at us when we eat. She grabs for food out of our hands and off tables (as she grabs for everything). The endless stream of drool from her mouth seems to be announcing a first tooth, and a new appetite. It could be months before that tooth arrives, and we are holding off for another month on solids... but when she is finally introduced to the world of food, I think she will be an enthusiastic citizen.

No comments: