Thursday, March 20, 2008

Language Acquisition

After five days of speaking in Spanglish, I am having trouble retrieving words consistently in either language. By the end of the weekend Jasper would take my hand when I said, "Agarrame el mano," and sit down when I said, "Sientate." He seemed to follow our conversations and would chime in in English once in a while. Although he would insist, "I don't speak Spanish!" whenever I tried to teach him a word or phrase.

Josie is becoming quite articulate herself, sticking exclusively to "Mama," "Baba," and "Papa." Peter swears she spoke her first word last night when she called "Mama! Mama! Mama!" while I was out. I am not convinced, as she did it again tonight and I was right there. She seems to know that I am Mama, Peter is Papa, and Jasper is Jasper (or Baba), by turning toward each of us when Peter says our names. She definitely knows she is Josie. The wonderful, talented Josie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Josie is becoming as "ticulate" as Jasper is! Indeed, I hate to break it to you, but her first word was elephant and I got to hear it;0)! What joys.