Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why?


Jasper has the stereotypical habit of constantly asking "why" after every proposed statement. Sometimes he says "why" when no statement has been made. I try to answer his question as honestly as possible on most occasions. The conversations go something like this: Jasper, come and sit at the table. Why? Because it is time for lunch. Why? Because you need to eat. Why? Because you are a growing boy. Why? Because you have an X and a Y chromosome and you were born two and a half years ago and that's a long time. Why? Because a lot can happen in two and a half years. Why? ... You get the picture. By answering these questions fully and repeatedly, I have determined that about 50% of all lines of questions end with the answer: "Gravity." To which he generally does not say "why," but says "What's gravity?" Generally I find these conversations entertaining and enjoyable, but on mornings when Josie has nursed often in the night and I am less rested, or Jasper has been particularly fussy and my patience is in short supply, I have been known to reply, "BECAUSE!" and leave it at that, or I respond with stony silence. When I have no answer to his question, Jasper will sometimes answer it himself. The conversation sounds something like this: Why? Why because. Why? Why because. Why? Why because...

No comments: