Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Jo Jo

I am aware of the fact that I tend to focus on Jasper antics in these daily chronicles, rather than Josie developments. So I thought I would take a post to catch you up to date on how the other half of the dynamic duo is doing.



This weekend we brought her to a holiday craft bazaar at the birth center and Jeanne weighed her. She is an impressive 13 lbs. She has two distinct chins and is already more chubby than Jasper ever was. She is awake for about five hours a day, I think. Maybe less. She generally wakes up with us, nurses a bit, cuddles and plays with Jasper and Papa in bed, stays awake long enough to get dressed and make it down stairs, then conks out in her bouncy chair. Throughout the morning she will wake up to nurse or check things out, fall asleep, wake up again. If we head out for a walk or in the car, or if the environment gets louder and more crazy (ex. a playdate with Pablo), she will sleep. If things calm down, she might wake up and assert herself a bit by cooing and smiling. She has typically cried only if she is hungry or has gas, but I think today she started crying when she is bored. I have cut out all dairy because it clearly makes her miserable. Some time after lunch, around Jasper's nap time, she has been falling asleep and may sleep for three hours. Her favorite nap spot is on the sheep skin on top of the dining room table. She wakes up in time for Papa to come home. She has a long period of wakefulness in the evening, which evolves into a "fussy hour," usually after Jasper is asleep. Swaddling, shooshing and sucking pacify her easily enough, though we have been spending long stretches pacing and bouncing with her. She tends to nurse a lot in the evening, as well, presumably tanking up for the night time fast. She nurses herself to sleep when we go to bed, and then generally stays asleep until morning, with the exception of waking to nurse once or twice.


All this said, there is no semblance of a "routine" for our dear Josie, and I am sure she will start a new trend tomorrow. In general, she seems to take after her Papa (thank goodness) and be a much more mellow and straightforward soul than her dramatic older brother. We are all enjoying her presence immensely. She is a fabulous addition to the team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect baby Josie is. I'm sure you will experience some "angst" from her some day, but enjoy this calm creature while you can.