Jasper spend the afternoon melting on the couch. I gave him a dose of Vitamin I so he could accompany me to the bank before it closed. It kicked in while we were in line for the teller, so he started throwing his race cars and shouting that he was "BATMaaaaaaan!" We'll see how he fares when the drugs wear off.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Return of the Bug
I was just heading to the teacher's lounge to grab my PB&J when Mrs. Miner's voice on the loudspeaker announced: "Is Jes Ellis in there?" Yes. "You have a phone call." I picked up the phone by the toaster. Jan informed me that Jasper had a 102 fever. Peter was in the field over an hour away. I was being called to duty. I told her I would be there as soon as I could and put down the reciever. "How do I leave?" I asked my vice principal, who was enjoying his own PB&J and immersed in a discussion of testing strategies with the reading specialist. I have never had to leave for an emergency before. "You find something for them to do... I'll find you coverage." Within half an hour I had whipped up two emergency lessons for the yet-to-be-determined-sub. I stayed long enough for my students to return from lunch and audibly groan when I told them I was leaving. Tyler Wheeler, who is 5' 6" and closing in on 200 lbs. fell on the floor and rolled under his desk in protest. It's not that they love me that much, they just can't stand variations to routine (unless it involves extra recess). I handed the plans to the reading specialist who was going to fill in for me in a pinch and was out the door. I arrived at Jasper's daycare 40 minutes after the call. Not bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Gosh. How is Jasper now? Back in Day Care and all ok I hope....
Post a Comment