Josie sleeps minimally during the day. Twenty minutes in the morning, less than an hour in the afternoon. They swear she wakes up happy, but can't seem to stay sleepy when she knows there is a room full of friends and activity right outside the nursery door. The result is a borderline psychotic baby in the evenings. She wants everything and nothing, demands, screeches, writhes, wants updownupdownupdown, begs, cries, is utterly discontent. This when we haven't seen her all day and are borderline exhausted ourselves. She is so tired she won't eat well. She is so tired all she wants to do is listen to books, but it's always a different book than the one we are reading. She is so tired, she hardly has the energy to sip on a bottle before bed. Peter tried putting her down for a nap as soon as he got home today, but even after an hour of rest she awoke in a state. She is still fairly good natured, as is her nature... but it's not a good or sustainable state. It's a relief to know that Josie is happy, engaged and well fed during the day... but sad to think that we only see her during the rough evening leg of the day. I consistently work ten hour days and occasionally am struck with the realization that I don't want to work this much for the next five years and completely miss my children's childhood. But here we are and the future seems paved.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Nap Strike
Josie sleeps minimally during the day. Twenty minutes in the morning, less than an hour in the afternoon. They swear she wakes up happy, but can't seem to stay sleepy when she knows there is a room full of friends and activity right outside the nursery door. The result is a borderline psychotic baby in the evenings. She wants everything and nothing, demands, screeches, writhes, wants updownupdownupdown, begs, cries, is utterly discontent. This when we haven't seen her all day and are borderline exhausted ourselves. She is so tired she won't eat well. She is so tired all she wants to do is listen to books, but it's always a different book than the one we are reading. She is so tired, she hardly has the energy to sip on a bottle before bed. Peter tried putting her down for a nap as soon as he got home today, but even after an hour of rest she awoke in a state. She is still fairly good natured, as is her nature... but it's not a good or sustainable state. It's a relief to know that Josie is happy, engaged and well fed during the day... but sad to think that we only see her during the rough evening leg of the day. I consistently work ten hour days and occasionally am struck with the realization that I don't want to work this much for the next five years and completely miss my children's childhood. But here we are and the future seems paved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That picture of Jasper leaping on the table is amazing.
I'm sorry it's so hard in the evenings with Josie. So many kids are hard in those evening hours. As she gets a little older and they have a set rest/nap time, it will probably be easier for her to sleep there.
Totally off topic, but I think of you so much during these last days before the election. Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope..
Post a Comment