Friday, June 6, 2008

Spider Boy Turns Three... Almost


Because we are leaving tomorrow on a two week voyage that involves three states, two reunions, and nearly 36 hours of driving, I thought it would be a great time to have a birthday party for Jasper. I decided to keep things simple: pizza, seltzer, broccoli and cake. Disposable plates and cups. Easy. And about 20 guests. It was raining, so the festivities remained mostly indoors. Guests included: Batulo and her five children (13 month old Sangawa kept playing with the volume on the stereo), Dan/Erica/Pablo, Sarah/Jackson/Tasha, Oma/PopPop, Meme/ Pepe, Tim/Joani, and three other families. Sarah came early and made a breathtaking Spiderman cake (the ONLY thing Jasper said he wanted for his birthday). Gifts included: an easel, a stunning antique wheel barrow restored by PopPop, a roller back pack, a soccer ball and net, and a silly-string web propelling Spiderman wrist gun and Spidey mask(from Sarah, in retaliation for the glamor doll and make-up set I gave to Tasha last year). We had forgotten to practice blowing out candles with Jasper, so when the time came he didn't know what to do. I told him to take a deep breath and blow on the candles. He took a deep breath and exhaled with a wide open mouth on the candles. Not quite. I held up a finger and demonstrated blowing. He held his fingers to his lips and tried again. Also no luck. On the third try he took out all four candles (one to grow on) in one breath. What a big boy! He had a great time until he finally dissolved into tears at seven o'clock, at which point everyone went home. As we were tucking him in, he looked up and said, "That was a GREAT party." Indeed it was.

1 comment:

Shannon Lea said...

Happy Birthday Jasper! Think of you all often out here :0) Loove keeping up with your life 3000 miles away!