Peter got a bite. The US Forest Service called him back for an interview. Since it was my spring break, we decided to bring the kids down for a second dose of DC this month. We spent two contemplative days talking to as many people as possible about employment and trying to envision ourselves living in such a big city so far south and far from mountains. Peter had one interview and four informational conversations. I had one real interview and two informational conversations. We left this morning with hope, prospects, leads, and an idea of what our life could be like in the Nation's Capital. Not so bad at all.
We arrived in time on Sunday to see Pepe briefly before he left for his next BVI expedition. Meme spent quality time with the kids for three days while Peter and I ran around talking to a variety people about work. The weather was once again seductive. One day hot enough for bathing suits on the back porch. A lovely rainy day that drove us to the indoor public pool and the local library. A crisp, cool, blustery day perfect for a walk up to the park and a trip to the sculpture garden on the Mall. At night we went out with friends and exhausted ourselves. It was a fun filled few days.
Heavy on our minds the entire time: Should we move here? Although I had a perfectly happy childhood, I have never wanted to move to DC as an adult. Perhaps it is because that although I grew up there, I have never really had a chance to be a grown up there. My visits have always been relatively rushed and generally about walking down memory lane, catching up with old friends, spending time with family. Would I be able to work, commute, parent, play in DC as an adult?
Pros: Grandparents (!), culture, public transportation, a built-in network of friends, and jobs. Cons: expense, pollution, the rat race. At some point, it will be time to get out the pennies.
But for the time being, there are no job offers, so the pennies can stay in the change jar.
Last night as we were leaving our friends' house, I noticed that the moon was full. Or at least it seemed full. As I continued down the block towards our car, it quickly slipped out of view. I tried to get a second look as I walked, but I could not. The moon never came back in to view. I forgot to look again that evening.
Could we live in a place where the full moon is not readily available every 28 days? Where we can not see the stars or put our boat in for a quick paddle before dinner? Where the mountains are not an hour away? Where the beach is all but inaccessible? Where there are at least four languages spoken on any train during rush hour? Where we could see my folks once a week if we wished? Where I could be teaching in a diverse school that values creativity over test scores? Where we could go out with friends to hear African music and eat African food a couple times a month?
Yes, pennies will definitely be in order.
2 comments:
I must say, i just met you, and really have enjoyed gettng to know you a little more, and pretty much think you rule, so i would already miss you in concord if you left...however, it sounds pretty awesome. we head to MD a lot (balti area) and DC since my family is down there, and i REALLY have liked it. i know you know this, but man, the whole north balti region is beautiful, so much available public ways of hiking and bike paths galore, and fly fishing on the gunpowder...etc...and from the sounds of what you wrote it sounds great! i agree, penny city.
so much to think about. but the word hope is not a bad one to have included here. and a move is more than a small thing, but needn't necessarily be forever.
hope that you find something some things that will help in making the next sets of decisions
thinking of you all
sending love
Post a Comment