Saturday, May 15, 2010

To DC, or not to DC?

I am coming home from the third trip to DC in six weeks, this time on my own. I spent Friday immersed in two distinctly contrasting interviews (see nstruction blog for details). Otherwise it was time wonderfully spent catching up with dad over margaritas, relaxing on the back deck over a decadent steak and egg breakfast, and getting my nails done with mom. I felt the need to pamper myself a bit after the recent job push. Now, the waiting game.

I extended my trip a day to stay for Sudir's funeral. Sudir was the husband of Punam's sister. They live around the corner from us, on Connecticut avenue, and we have known the family for many years. He has been a chronic drinker most of his life, and collapsed on Monday from a heart attack. His son is 18 at just about to finish up high school. His wife is a day care provider, much beloved, as Punam is. The funeral was a Hindu ceremony at a funeral home in Bethesda. The reception hall was crowded. Most impressive was how his son, Nitin, rose up to perform most of the ceremony, delivered the eulogy, like the true man he must become. Another poignant reminder that my employment situation is a mere inconvenience to be tolerated and quickly conquered. Life is too short for whining.

2 comments:

Janet Isserlis said...

balance, perspective, you're right of course.

but don't ever forget that you and yours are important; that's sort of a dumb statement. what I mean is that yes, there are bigger life changing things that happen, including not being alive anymore.

and still , the work you do DOES count; but you know all this. anyway.
thinking of you

JCK said...

Just been reading up. You have a lot going on! Can't wait to see where it all leads.