Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mama Day



This weekend I truly soaked up the full effects of the mother's day holiday by hardly lifting a finger to do school work. Hallmark it may be, but I was determined to make the most of motherworkship. We jetted up to Tuftonboro Friday afternoon to play with the Hipples and stayed all the way till Sunday morning. Sunday was sweet and crisp. Peter outdid himself with cards from the kids and a native shade tolerant plant to cover the bed behind the garage (so much better than roses). Antonia and David came over from South Hadley to put icing on the day. We started to hike up Thumb Mountain, and then were chased down by the black flies. The stiff wind and hot sun kept the flies at bay while we picnicked on the grounds of the old Harris Estate and nature preserve. The best part of the weekend was allowing myself to just be with my kids. Sitting, holding, reading, singing, snacking, telling stories, being a mom. Motherhood is bloody exhausting. But as my energy steadily drains, it is constantly filled, filled, filled. The highlight from the festivities was going with Jasper on a mama date to see Dan Zanes, who I have determined is the "David Byrne of children's folk music." We snuggled in the bucket seats of Bow High School while toddlers rocked out in the mosh pit. For a moment I felt like Concord (and I by association) was a truly hip place. 

No comments: