Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Laid Off

Peter is. Was today. Unexpectedly. Or not exactly. They had warned the organization about impending lay offs. Private meetings were scheduled for today. But for the first time in my life I was the optimist. No way they would fire my smart, creative, hard-working, socially savvy (not to mention handsom) husband. He has built their new inventory database from scratch. He understands forest management and GIS and ecology and how to use the coffeemaker. He was liked, had a great work ethic, wrote for their member magazine, led field trips for trustees, knew most of the properties intimately... But no. We don't need a "forest ecologist." Ecology is a luxury. Adios, Pedro.

So as of two weeks from now he will be a Domestic Dad, a terrifying prospect for a man who had found his dream job. And I will be the breadwinner. A terrifying prospect for a woman who takes home only $2,400 a month. 

There is a dull pain in the back of my neck, representing the grocery bills and taxes and leaky roof above our heads in the months to come. But a small part of me feels slightly satisfied to join so many fellow Americans in this "crisis," as it surely is, in case you had any doubts. 

2 comments:

Trochee said...

that sucks, J. Good luck to the four of you; you deserve to have the work and play that you want.

JCK said...

Jess, I'm catching up. I'm so sorry to hear about the challenging times.

You're a strong woman, and you will get through this.

I wish you good times ahead, as you navigate your way through.