Thursday, January 1, 2009

Auld Lang Syne

It's been a good year. Despite all minor obstacles (poor health, frightening financial crisis, work challenges, the demands of parenthood, escalating world conflict, etc.) this year has been a bold success: our country pulled itself together to elect Barack Obama. 2008 shall be forever remembered fondly. 

As for 2009? Some resolutions are in the works, but my greatest hope is that we are not faced with anything that we cannot handle, learn from and grow from. I assume there will be health, finance, parenting, and world conflict challenges, even setbacks. But such is life. I only hope that I move through the hills and dips with relative grace and with an understanding that there is always marrow to be enjoyed in this complex potage of life.

I heard a conversation between Maya Angelou and Diane Rehm on New Year's Eve that did a lot to set me off on the right foot. (http://wamu.org/programs/dr/08/12/31.php#24350)

The only resolution I remember from last year was that I wanted to submit something for publication. So at2 pm on December 31st I stuffed three envelopes with a short story I managed to write before going back to work and sent it to three publishers. Voila. Done. Just in the nick of time. No publishing resolutions this year. Just survival.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Congrats on the submission, sis - I had no idea you were working on that! Way to go!!