
We kicked off the Christmas marathon with a trip to DC to commemorate my sister (who died in infancy) Katherine's 40th birthday. Over 100 friends and family came from as far away as Sweden to attend a performance of a carol that my parents commissioned in her honor. The National Catherdral was sold out for The Choral Arts Society's "Joy of Christmas" performance. I sat behind my parents and the librettist, Mary Hitchcock, an eccentric woman in her 80s from my parents' church who has composed volumes of poetry while on the job for the federal government. I was overwhelmed by a feeling of pride in my parents, who have built a life around being "aware of and responsive to the needs of others." We listened to "The Animals' Christmas" as the evening light illuminated the Rose Window and God gave us each a subtle squeeze. I grew up aware that if Katherine had survived, I would not have been born. I was sure that I could not be her, but always felt that I should thank her. And I do. It's hard to miss someone you never would have met... but I do.
After a stressfull week wrapping up work, we set out on an east coast tour: Amherst, MA, Northampton, MA, Park Slope, Brooklyn, some other part of Brooklyn, Maplewood, NJ for four days, back to Amherst and home. No one puked. We never got lost. The car didn't break down. There was hardly any traffic. When a snow storm hit we were happy to be held up with friends. The kids saw grandparents, cousins, family camp relatives, friends. We went to museums, took in a Broadway show (South Pacific), listened to music, watched movies, ate rich food, and drank enough alcohol to throw me into a low grade depression for a month. It was a shockingly successful holiday.
Thank God we have a few days to recompress before school begins next Monday. Everything looks darker on this side of Christmas, even though the solstice has passed and, in theory, we are heading towards the light.
AND Josie started walking almost in ernest!
1 comment:
This is wonderful. I'm so glad you're still blogging and and posting pictures and videos.....
Post a Comment