Wednesday, November 5, 2008

At Last

We did it. He did it. The dream is a reality. As one good friend put it, this morning it felt like I woke up in a new country.

On a cold, rainy day in March of '07 Jasper and I saw Barack speak for the first time in a parking lot in Machester. We hit the pavement to canvas for the first time over 21 months ago. Last night he was elected President of the United States of America. Joy and relief.

After staying up to hear the acceptance speech, Peter and I spent most of the night tending to Jasper who had a horrendous ear infection, and Josie who's paw was still bothering her. This morning a weary and teary Jasper sat mezmerized in front of the computer and watched Barack's speech in its entirely. He seemed to be as incredulous as the rest of us. "Really, mama?" he seemed to ask. "Did he win the WHOLE United States?" Yes, Jasper. The WHOLE United States. At last.

1 comment:

JCK said...

Congratulations, Jess! You worked so hard and I've been thinking of you so much over this time.

What a gift for our children and our country!

Thank you for your hard work on his campaign. Your work paid off!