I should work. Lord knows I have enough work to do. Every day I scoot in 30 minutes before my students arrive, 45 if I am lucky, race to prep and teach all day, and then scramble together what I can for an hour before I rush out to get Josie. I drop her off at 7:30 in the morning and don't pick her up until 5 pm. It's not like I can work longer hours. I try to sneak in an hour of planning at night, but often I am just too tired. Weekends would be the time to catch up, but Peter usually needs to the time to work on his ^%&#*#! NH contract work, and then there are these children who we are supposed to be raising...
So I need to work more. But I can't work more.
Neither do I read the newspaper, look at my in-box, or take care of important details like registering for a MD driver's license. Being awake in the middle of the night means I can take a moment to actually look at some of those political emails I usually toss out, read the New York Times, and think about some of those details I just haven't gotten to. If I register for my license I will register to vote. But voting registration closed on October 12th. I feel like a total loser. I have lived here since August and I won't be voting in this election, or any election. How is it that I am too busy to be a citizen?
Where are the people with balanced, manageable lives? I mean the working people? Who is able to hold down a full time job, raise a family, read books, balance their finances, pay their bills on time, see friends, watch a movie on occasion and vote? Is it too late for me to develop some organizational skills that just don't seem to be a part of my fabric? Something needs to shift.
Getting more sleep may help.
4 comments:
those people don't really exist. not exactly. you are so. not. a loser.
at all.
sending love,
more time would rock...but we all do the best we can with the tools we have, and those people who seem perfectly organized, in my mind, i look at it like this: the organized people may have a whole other host of issues that we might be grateful not to have...
I don't know where those people are either. Something's gotta give! If everything's all caught up / prepped / planned for school, it's inevitable that the house is a mess and that I haven't slept. As for the upcoming election - it's kind of lame this go-round anyway. At least the DC one is.
Sis you have perfectly summarized how I feel 99% of the time!
Post a Comment