I have been too self absorbed recently even to write about my family. As Peter and I individually and together go back to the drawing board and try to figure out what the hell we want to do with our lives, we have less attention for the kids, who are indisputably doing well.
Josie is talking constantly and articulately. She is bold (borderline obnoxious), assertive, brave ("No monsters in there. Not scary.", and funny. Unfortunately most jokes involve the word "fart" or "poop," or simply insert a random noun before the word "head." Jasper is spending more time on his artwork, expanding his pallet to include colors other than black, drawing countless self portraits that have begun to sprout fingers and ears. He is also learning to read, identifying his name everywhere and starting to sound out simple words with little success, but the desire is there. I try not to take his deep, devoted love for his mama for granted. He is privy to my emotional shifts. (The other day he said, "Mama you always have a happy face, but why now do you always have a serious face?") I can only hope that the happy faces will outweigh the serious faces in the end. They are both healthy, happy, active, good, good, good. I try not to take this for granted.
The other night a friend asked, "How are you?" After thinking for a moment, I had to admit, "I'm about as bad as I have ever been." It took only a second moment to come to the realization that my life is hands-down fabulous. If being laid off is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, I've had it pretty damned good.
The same friend then explained the five stages of grief. I am doing "sad" and "angry" pretty solid these days, after only a very brief stint in "denial." But that means that acceptance is around the corner. In the mean time, it's good to embrace the process. And try not to spend too much time writing letters to the editor on the state of public education.
3 comments:
hiya! hey plugged into your blog again for the first time in a while. stoked that while it is pretty beat right now, you can also have that much gratitude. wishing you the best in continuing to enjoy life while dealing...and psyched to be getting to know you more.
jes
thinking of you, mindful of the need for and the difficulty with the balance btwn this completely sucks and, oh, right, yes. gratitude.
sending you all much love
I have just checked the blog today and see that things are coming back up on the blog. As far as I am concerned, this is a good sign.
A person who writes is a person who is figuring things out...
Post a Comment