Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Reservoir


Last weekend we kicked off the summer with a quiet moment at Sarah Hipple's family's camp on Deering Reservoir. The sky was overcast and hushed, releasing rain intermittently for over 24 hours. Fishermen coasted silently past our dock on occasion, but otherwise we saw no one. Even the loons (two pair, at least) were sedate. When we arrived on Saturday afternoon I felt positively hung over. My entire being ached. I was sure I was going to plummet into the flu or worse. But once I dove into the minty water the healing began. After a full day of doing nothing, a two hour nap, two huge meals, belly laughs with the kids, several rounds of Guess Who, 2 long paddles around the lake, a full night's sleep, and six dozen mosquito bites, I was a new woman. Or rather, my old self. I am so excited to be a mom (wife, friend, human) again.

No comments: